The fraternity of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons is the oldest, largest and most widely known fraternal organization in the world. Freemasonry came to Allegany County at a time when men were blazing the trail of progress westward and Cumberland was emerging from a settlement into a town. The first Lodge was established in Cumberland by a dispensation from the Grand Lodge in November 1816. This body was known first as Allegany Lodge No. 61, but later changed its name to Cumberland Lodge No. 61. A disasterous fire in Cumberland (April 14, 1833) had completely destroyed the rooms once occupied by the Lodge and all records and equipment were lost. After re-establishment, the Lodge prospered and its future outlook seemed good. Under the date of March 10, 1867, upon recommendation of Potomac Lodge No. 100, a dispensation was granted by Grand Master John M. Coates to form a new lodge to be named, OHR LODGE No. 131.