The Michael Cresap Museum is housed in a stone house was built in 1764 by Captain Michael Cresap, the first white male born in Allegany County, and the son of Colonel Thomas Cresap. Michael was a bold continental militia volunteer who proved himself on the western frontier and, when called upon after Lexington and Concord, led one hundred and forty riflemen from Oldtown to Boston, the first southern troops to report to General Washington. The house was saved from destruction by Rev. Irvin (Cy) Allen in 1961 when it was about to be demolished. Over the years Rev. Allen restored it and filled it with artifacts. The Michael Cresap Museum is a private, non-profit organization. All members of the professional staff are volunteers, and all donations are applied to the upkeep of the property. The museum is open by appointment May through September and closed for the winter months. They are open the third weekend of June for the Oldtown Summer Fest, and for selected events throughout the summer.