St. Michael's Catholic Church

The growth of the coal industry in Western Maryland attracted immigrants, many of whom were Irish Catholics, to the Frostburg area to work in the mines. The influx of these immigrants created a need for a full-time parish and priest in Frostburg. In late 1849 or early 1850, Rev. Michael Slattery came to Frostburg, the first priest to take charge of a regular congregation in Frostburg. Father Slattery purchased the old Highland Hall on the Old National Road (now US 40/Main St) and remodeled it. He transformed one wing into the first St. Michael’s Catholic Church and used the other wing as a pastoral residence.

The cornerstone for the present St Michael’s Church was laid on August 2, 1868, during the administration of Rev. Louis Morgan, St. Michael’s third pastor. The cornerstone was blessed and laid by the Very Rev, Edward Brennon of St. Patrick’s Church in Cumberland.

Father Morgan was succeeded by Rev. Valentine Schmitt who was named pastor of St. Michael’s in 1869. It was Father Schmitt who changed St. Michael’s from a mission church to a completely organized parish. He completed the building of the church and enriched it with the ornaments and vestments necessary for the dignified carrying out of the liturgy. It was also Father Schmitt who suggested placing the memorial to the Frosts, the founders of Frostburg, in front of the church where it still stands today. Upon completion of the church, Father Schmitt had the old Highland Hall removed and built the rectory in 1871.

St. Michael's offers Mass on Saturdays at 5:00 pm, and Sundays at 8:00 am and 12:00 noon. 

Phone: 301-689-6767 Address: 44 East Main Street
Frostburg, MD 21532