The Union Grove One-Room School was built in 1901 to replace the Wilson Academy. The new school was built to accomodate the location of most of the students attending the school. Grades one through eight were taught in the Union Grove School. Most of the children attending the school were from farm or mill families. The school was the center of social activities for the community. Fall Fairs were held and the women of the community displayed their canned goods. In the evenings there were programs with recitations and readings. The school closed in 1926 and students were sent to Gephart School on Frederick Street in Cumberland. The Union Grove School was restored in 2010 with grant funds from the Maryland Historic Trust and matching funds from the Allegany County Historical Society.
The Union Grove One Room School offers school field trips, and schoolhouse tours. To book a group or for additional information, contact the Allegany County Historical Society at 301-777-8678.
In 2013, the Union Grove One Room School will offer open houses on July 21, August 4 & 18, and September 8 from 1-3pm.