Cumberland – Saturday, October 13, Downtown Cumberland is going to the dogs – and the cats. Barktoberfest, sponsored by the Downtown Cumberland Business Association and Allegany County Animal Shelter Management Foundation will be filled with plenty of activities for children and adults and a few for the animals, too.
• A shelter animal adopt-a-thon will be held from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. on the Liberty Street Stage. All adoptable animals will be up-to-date on their shots and many have been spayed or neutered. Adoption fees will be waived for the day. Interested parties should bring proof of home ownership or permission from their landlords.
• Veterinarian Dr. Edwin Braken will be holding a rabies and microchip clinic for pets. There will be a fee for rabies shots and for micro chipping.
• From 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., Knippenberg Insurance will sponsor its second annual Pumpkin Palooza as part of the event. Children are invited to come down and pick out a pumpkin to paint. Pumpkin Palooza will also feature face painting. With a donation of a food item for the Food Bank, free bicycle helmets will be given out to children while quantities last.
• Several of the Downtown Cumberland businesses including Fort Cumberland Emporium, Tree House Toy Shop, Barkin’ Basement Thrift Shop and The Book Center will be holding a sidewalk sale starting at 10 a.m. Other animal related vendors such as Uptown Hound and Laundramutt, Homeward Bound Cat Rescue, Animal Welfare Society, the Frostburg Dog Park and more will be set up with information, raffles and other items.
• The Book Center will also be hosting a children’s activity around the book, “My Dog, My Cat” written by Ashlee Fletcher. In this bright new picture book designed for preschoolers and early elementary children, the author describes all the differences between her dog and cat, which don't always get along. Children are encouraged to bring photos of their favorite pets which will be posted and displayed at The Book Center.
• At 11 a.m., the ACAS Management Foundation will unveil their newly wrapped bus.
• A live WFRB radio remote with Hannah Ford, of the morning ‘Hannah and the Trucker’ show is scheduled from 12 noon – 2 p.m. Susquehanna Bank’s mascot, Mega Bucks will be making his appearance and children may have their photos taken with him. Music provided by DJ Mark Stevens will be played throughout the day.
For more information on Barktoberfest, call Becky McClarran at 301-724-2453 or [email protected] For information about the Allegany County Animal Shelter, visit www.ashelterofhope.com.